Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found in a Greenwich Village apartment, dead of a drug overdose at forty-six. Says the New York Times:
The death, apparently from a drug overdose, was confirmed by the police. Mr. Hoffman was found in the apartment by a friend, David Bar Katz, who became concerned after being unable to reach him.
Investigators found a syringe in his left forearm, at least two plastic envelopes with what appeared to be heroin nearby, and five empty plastic envelopes in a trash bin, a law-enforcement official said. (Source)
His family has released this statement:
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers." (Source)
Terribly, terribly sad.
Thanks to Ethan for alerting me.